Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

BBQ Brown Rice Crackers

I have gotten numerous emails requesting the raw food recipe for the crackers pictured in the cheese post on January 6th. They were a new experiment that I tried that turned out better than I could have hoped for. I used organic, long grain brown rice for the flour, chia seeds for the binder and flavored them with a wonderful BBQ spice mix. These crackers have a wonderful, crisp texture that reminds me of brown rice crackers I have bought in the store. They are also gluten free! Another great addition to your raw food recipe collection!

I am lucky enough to have a flour mill from Sunrise Flour Mills to grind the brown rice in. You can buy stone ground brown rice flour at your coop. If it is stone ground, it shouldn’t have been interfered with. I love my mill and will be trying many other grains to see what fun combinations I can come up with.

Brown Rice Almond BBQ Crackers

2 cups brown rice flour1 cup almonds, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed1/2 cup cup chia seeds soaked in 1 cup water4 tablespoons bbq spice mix*

1. Place almonds in food processor and process until they resemble a fine crumb. Remove to bowl.

2.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Combine well.

3. Spread on non-stick sheets about 1/4 – inch thick. Dehydrate at 145 for 1 hour, reduce heat to 115 and dehydrate, flipping once during dehydration for 6-8 more hours or until dry. Don’t worry about compromising the raw status, the food temperature never gets above 115 in that first hour.

*I use BBQ spice mix from Penzey’s spices.

Tagged as: gluten free, gluten free recipes, raw food diet, raw food recipes, vegan recipes


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment